Friday 25 February 2022

Review - Chain of Gold

Chain of Gold with Cordelia Fairyloot bookmark
Title: Chain of Gold
Series: The Last Hours (Goodreads)
Publisher: Walker Books
Genre: Fantasy, Romance

Author: Cassandra Clare
Age Group: YA
Source: Waterstones (purchased)

Review

So begins the new generation of Shadowhunters. Chain of Gold follows in the magnificent footsteps of previous shadowhunting series, and thankfully it does not disappoint, in fact it might just be Clare’s bestest work yet!

What stood out as the strongest aspect of Chain of Gold for me was the male friendships, the merry thieves. I was pleasantly struck by this because usually I would not be so interested in predominantly male friendships. However, the merry thieves stole my heart because of their loyalty, love, and more importantly they shared and supported one another during their most vulnerable times. It is the sharing and supporting of each other’s vulnerabilities that truly endeared me to the merry thieves and why I know that is why their male friendship kept my interest. Also, their scenes were the ones that made me laugh the most (closely followed by Anna and Matthews scenes together). I loved a particular scene with the merry thieves when they are trying to ‘help’ James to enter the shadow realm, after all he is Tessa’s daughter and it wouldn’t be a Shadowhunter’s novel without some demonic chaos!

In the name of a million bloody angels, Christopher, what the hell did you just do?” Matthew demanded, leaping up after James. “Did you try to kill James?” Christopher lowered the bow. […] “I was not trying to kill James,” said Christopher in an injured tone. “I was hoping the shock of the arrow flying past would startle him into the shadow realm. Pity it didn’t work. We must think of a new plan to grievously alarm James at once.” “Christopher!” James exclaimed. “I cannot believe you would say that! I also cannot believe you would shoot at me.” “It had a seventy-two percent chance of working, in perfect laboratory conditions—” “We are not in perfect laboratory conditions!” James shouted. “We are in the ballroom of my house!”

Another aspect that I loved from Chain of Gold was the allusions to fairy tales and references to Victorian culture. It might be because I have always been fascinated by the Victorian era that references to artists such as William Morris stood out to me. As well as the fact that having grown up and returned to London for my University years that I was able to visit the actual Morris museum in Walthamstow that this held my interest too (A lovely little museum to visit if you are ever in London). I particularly enjoyed the fairy tale allusions because Clare reminds as that they were never just fluffy happily ever afters but once held darker themes such as sleeping beauty. Therefore, to me it is important to remember the origins of traditional fairy tales and not lose them to those happily ever afters that we have perhaps come to prefer, thanks to Disney (though I cannot resist a Disney movie if you were to put one on). I have included that rather charming interaction between Lucie and Cordelia discussing the darker version of Sleeping Beauty because not only do I enjoy the allusion but the manner in which they discuss such dark traditional themes:

“Did you ever read the older fairy tales? I remember them being much more frightening. There was one where Sleeping Beauty’s palace was ringed all around with sharp briars. And the bodies of the princes who tried to get through hung on the thorns when they died, and their bones whitened in the sun.” “Delightful!” said Lucie. “I shall be sure to Include that in a book.”

Synopsis (From Goodreads)

Welcome to Edwardian London, a time of electric lights and long shadows, the celebration of artistic beauty and the wild pursuit of pleasure, with demons waiting in the dark. For years there has been peace in the Shadowhunter world. James and Lucie Herondale, children of the famous Will and Tessa, have grown up in an idyll with their loving friends and family, listening to stories of good defeating evil and love conquering all. But everything changes when the Blackthorn and Carstairs families come to London…and so does a remorseless and inescapable plague.

James Herondale longs for a great love, and thinks he has found it in the beautiful, mysterious Grace Blackthorn. Cordelia Carstairs is desperate to become a hero, save her family from ruin, and keep her secret love for James hidden. When disaster strikes the Shadowhunters, James, Cordelia and their friends are plunged into a wild adventure which will reveal dark and incredible powers, and the true cruel price of being a hero…and falling in love.

Key Quotes

I simply cannot see why one would wish to picnic in the nude,” Cordelia said. “There would be ants in dreadful places.” Anna laughed. “Cordelia, you are a breath of fresh air,” she said, as a woman with dark hair bore down on them, carrying a silver salver.’
Oh, dear, Magnus thought. I may need to linger in London a bit longer. Perhaps I should send for my cat.’
“There’s an orangery in Kensington Gardens that needs smashing. Ladies, lock up your outbuildings. James Herondale is in town and he has been slighted in love!”
“Cordelia will be coming with us. That was why I invited her here in the first place.” “I thought you wanted to have tea!” objected Cordelia. No one ever just wants to have tea,” said Anna. “Tea is always an excuse for a clandestine agenda.” “Anna, Cordelia is a proper young lady,” said Matthew. “She may not wish to risk her reputation by sallying out with Downworlders and reprobates.” “Cordelia wants to be a hero,” said Anna. “One cannot do that by staying at home stitching samplers.”

Similar reads

Serpent & Dove, The Raven Boys, Kingdom of the Wicked, Bone Crier's Moon, And I Darken, Caraval

Afterthoughts

What did you think of Chain of Gold?

What would you recommend to readers if they love the Shadowhunter's series?

What matters to you most in a friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment