|Book Blog owner - Shona|
‘You seldom get a censorship attempt from a 14-year-old boy. It's the adults who get upset.’ - Robert Cormier
Hi there and thank you for visiting my book blog. My name is Shona and I hope to get to know my readers too.
I’m just starting out and beginning to share my love of books with others who do too and for those that are being introduced to the love of reading for the first time. I started out on Instagram with my personal Bookstagram account eastendreader98 but decided to take it one step further and create this book blog. I have always been a reader from a very early age, some of my fondest memories are having my dad and mum read to me and my brother as kids. My dad especially set aside time in the evening to read a chapter a night of any chosen book from Harry Potter to Matilda before going to bed.
As a I got older my love of books only increased so much so I decided to take an English Literature course and recently graduated from university in 2019. I’m currently looking towards breaking into the publishing industry as my future career not only because I love books but since I believe in the importance of sharing books with everyone. It is important to make books and the wider arts more inclusive to those that cannot otherwise access them as well as making sure that books represent our society as it now not as it has been for example LGBTQ+ representation in books or those from a different racial background other than a Caucasian one.
I believe in supporting others as well which is why I want to aim to share other people’s content if I can, I am specifically keen to reach out to artists that create fanfic artworks and share their works further after all if someone chooses to create that work it deserves to be seen and admired by as many as it can be. I would also be willing to share aspiring writers works, again if time is taken to create something, then it deserves to be read.
The focus of my blog is to review YA books but I will include reviews for other books that I believe are exceptional and worth reading.
A few facts about me:
- I was born in the East End of London (the inspiration for my blog name) but now live in the East of England.
- I am half Australian, my mum luckily decided to take a chance on a Brit.
- I have two brothers. The youngest is 18 years my junior, I am currently 22 and he is only 4, but my other brother is 2 years younger than me.
- I love other things besides reading, I have also always loved dancing, going to music gigs, and swimming.
- I am currently obsessed with Melanie Martinez’s album K-12, her lyrics are hauntingly beautiful and provocative.
- I will read mostly anything that is put in front of me, erotica fiction is not for me, currently though I am obsessed by YA.
- Music I love – David Bowie, K. Flay, Billie Eilish, James and Imagine Dragons + many more
- Tv and movies I love – Teen Wolf, The 100, Wizard of Oz, Little Women, Peaky Blinders, Sex Education + many more (I am always happy to talk about more than just my love of books too)
Some of the books I love (recently and over the years):
- Any Sarah J. Maas series
- Leigh Bardugo
- Charles Dickens – Great Expectations
- John Ajvide Lindqvist– Let the Right One In
- Any Kendare Blake series
- Any of Maggie Stiefvater’s books
- Emily Bronte – Wuthering Heights
- Michael Grant – Gone series
- Cassandra Clare – Shadowhunters series
- Emily Suvada – Mortal coil series
'Great thing to form own opinion, don’t accept hearsay... Question authority. Question accepted views, values, reputations. Don’t be afraid to be among the rebels...' - J.M.Barrie in Hide-And-Seek with Angels: A Life of J. M. Barrie
I look forward to getting to know everyone, and will always have time to have a chat and share our love and thoughts for books and other loves.
Other places you can find me to chat or to contact me are below: