Sunday 7 March 2021

Review - A Court of Frost and Starlight

A Court of Thorns and Roses series with Faecrate print

Title: A Court of Frost and Starlight 
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses (Goodreads)
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Genre: Fantasy, Romance

Author: Sarah J Maas
Age Group: YA
Source: Amazon (purchased)

Review

This is an absolutely fantastic little novella if you are a fan of ACOTAR. It truly resolves Feyre and Rhysand’s story that was brought to us in the worlds opening trilogy. However, what excited me most was that this novella begins to set up the future books and what we might expect for the other members of the Inner Circle and Archeron Sisters. After all we have seen Feyre begin her healing process but have yet to see Elain and Nesta face their traumas. But A Court of Frost and Starlight definitely establishes this for the future books (notably, A Court of Silver Flames is Nesta’s individual book). ACOTAR may have begun as Feyre and Rhys’s love story but this world is about truly more than that!

Even though the ACOTAR trilogy was mainly Feyre and Rhys’s story it was always about more than just them. It brought into focus some very important issues such as family conflicts, various traumas and healing from those difficult traumas. In particular sexual harassment was a key trauma suffered by both women and men, as well as the issue of family abuse. All of these issues was what made readers value the trilogy and Maas’ frankness to raise such issues in books targeted towards young adult readers. That’s why the following quote for me sums up one of the key themes raised throughout the trilogy, the power of family offering support and healing through facing and coming to terms with trauma. If you have read the series than you will be aware of the details of Cassian’s particular past, if not, then without giving away spoilers the key thing to know is that Cassian and his mother suffered abuse from their families village. Part of the healing process for Cassian was meeting Rhys and finding not only a friendship but choosing to claim each other as family, as brothers.
My mother always had gifts for Azriel and Cassian. For the latter, the initial Solstice we’d shared here had been the first time he’d received any sort of gift, Solstice or not. I could still see the tears Cassian had tried to hide as he’d opened his presents, and the tears in my mother’s eyes as she watched him.’
Now, even though there are difficult issues and themes there are still many positive and happy moments found throughout the ACOTAR trilogy and A Court of Frost and Starlight. At many times through reading this series overall I have found myself smiling and laughing time and again throughout reading about the love and friendship found between the many characters. Moments between The Inner Circle when things are peaceful and happy have always been my most favourite and ACOFAS did not disappoint as there were many of these happy occasions. The overarching story is the winter Solstice celebration, a time similar to our own Christmas, when families come together and enjoy the festivities and remind themselves of those that matter most to them (and of course who can forget the presents! cheeky Emoji). One scene that especially had me laughing and smiling is when Feyre and Cassian get drunk together and attempt to decorate the house for solstice. Of course getting drunk doesn’t lead to very good decorating and Azriel tries to fix it and whilst doing so is coaxed into joining Cass and Feyre for a drink:

Poor Az,” I said, pouring myself another glass. “Wine will make you feel better.” He glared at me, then the bottle, then Cassian … and finally stormed across the room, took the bottle from my hand, and chugged the rest. Cassian grinned with delight. Mostly because Rhys drawled from the doorway, “Well, at least now I know who’s drinking all my good wine. Want another one, Az?” Azriel nearly spewed the wine into the fire, but made himself swallow and turn, red-faced, to Rhys. “I would like to explain—” Rhys laughed, the rich sound bouncing off the carved oak moldings of the room. “Five centuries, and you think I don’t know that if my wine’s gone, Cassian’s usually behind it?” Cassian raised his glass in a salute.’

Synopsis (Goodreads)

ON THE DARKEST NIGHT, THE STARS STILL SHINE. 

Feyre's first Winter Solstice as High Lady is drawing near. With it will come a hard-earned rest from the work she, Rhys and their friends have done to rebuild the Night Court and the vastly changed the world beyond. Yet the festive atmosphere can't keep shadows from looming. Even as her own heart heals, she finds that those dearest to her have wounds that go deeper than she knew. 

AND THE SCARS OF THE PAST WILL TOUCH HER COURT IN TIMES TO COME.

Key Quotes

Elain met me halfway to the kitchen, bearing a tray of jam tarts toward the table in the dining room. Where an assortment of baked goods had already begun to take form, tiered cakes and iced cookies. Sugar-frosted buns and caramel-drizzled fruit pies. “Those look pretty,” I told her by way of greeting, nodding toward the heart-shaped cookies on her tray.
Hot cocoa or wine?” Cassian curved a wing around me, turning us toward the cellar door. “How many good bottles does little Rhysie have left?”
‘I cupped Rhys’s cheek, and he leaned into the touch as I quietly asked, “Do you think it’s stupid to wonder if painting might help others, too? Not my painting, I mean. But teaching others to paint. Letting them paint. People who might struggle the same way I do.” His eyes softened. “I don’t think that’s stupid at all.” I traced my thumb over his cheekbone, savoring every inch of contact. “It makes me feel better—perhaps it would do the same for others.”
The females bring their jewelry. I bring my weapons.” “I know a few females in this house who might take offense to that.” Cassian offered me a wicked grin in response.’

Similar Reads

Throne of Glass, From Blood and Ash, The Cruel Prince, Serpent & Dove, Kingdom of the Wicked

Afterthoughts

Sometimes it's the family we choose, our friends, that help us the most and we should cherish the family we go to choose.

Healing from trauma takes time and it isn't a quick process but a lifetimes worth of healing.

Have you read A Court of Frost and Starlight, what did you think?

What books would you recommend for readers that love Fae inspired stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment